BULLMASTIFF BREED COUNCIL GENERAL CODE OF ETHICS
All members of the Bullmastiff Breed Council undertake to abide by its general Code
1) Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange
for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2) Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation
on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, may report
such operation to the Kennel Club.
3) Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform
to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4) Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5) Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6) Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful
to the dog or to the breed.
7) Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours
or those carrying out official duties.
8) Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed
or under effective control when away from home.
9) Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being
10) Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy
life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11) Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning
responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12) Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner
when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant
documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13) Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly
or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any
kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand
alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14) Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely
advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15) Will not allow a bitch to be mated under the age of 20 months nor subsequently
bred from more than once in a 12 month period.
16) Will not allow a bitch to conceive a first litter over the age of 5 years nor,
having had a previous litter, to conceive after her 6th birthday. No bitch should
have more than 4 litters.
17) Will not allow a stud dog to be used on any bitch which does not fulfil the previous
requirements nor on any bitch which is not in good physical and mental condition.
18) Will make every effort to control or if possible eliminate faults and defects,
especially if such faults or defects are considered to be hereditary. The use of
hip scoring under the KC/ BVA scheme is to be encouraged. In all cases the temperament
of both dog and bitch should be carefully considered.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary
action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal
action, as appropriate.
KC/GJ September 2008
THE BULLMASTIFF BREED COUNCIL’S CODE OF CONDUCT.
1. The betterment and well being of the Bullmastiff shall be the primary consideration
of every member of the society and is a condition of membership.
2. All members shall ensure that, at all times, all dogs under their control are
properly housed, fed, watered, exercised and will receive proper veterinary attention,
if and when required
3. Members will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance
to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
4. Members will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and be kept on
a lead or under strict control at all times in public places. It is advisable the
no child under 16 shall be in charge of a Bullmastiff in a public place at any time
unless under close supervision.
5. Members will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs
are being exhibited.
6. Members will agree without reservation that any Veterinary Surgeon performing
an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal
may report such operations to the Kennel Club
7. No member shall permit any purebred dogs to be mated to a dog of a different breed,
to a crossbred dog, or to an unregistered dog of the same breed.
8. When planning a Bullmastiff mating, every effort must be made to control, or if
possible, eliminate faults/defects especially if such faults/defects are hereditary.
The use of hip scoring under the BVA KC scheme is to be encouraged.
9. A bitch should not be allowed to conceive until at least 20 months of age, nor
subsequently bred from more than once in a twelve-month period. A bitch should not
generally be allowed to conceive a first litter over the age of 5 years, nor having
had a previous litter, after her 6th birthday. No bitch should have more than 4 litters.
10. Owners of stud dogs shall not allow bitches which are over or under age to be
mated and should refuse a mating to any bitch which is not in good physical condition.
Stud dog owners shall also examine all documentation for the bitch (Pedigree, registration
documents etc.) prior to a mating with their dog.
11. An accurate pedigree of at least three generations shall be kept for each litter
bred and retained by the breeder for reference and owner of stud dog. The names and
addresses of all puppy purchases also to be retained by the breeder for future reference.
12. Every effort shall be made only to sell stock to responsible persons who are
prepared to correctly rear and care for the Bullmastiff and to give it a permanent
home. Puppies shall not be sold to Pet Shops or dealers. In the event of an owner
being unable to continue to keep the Bullmastiff, the breeder shall make every effort
to re house the dog.
13. Members selling stock shall supply the client at the time of sale with a signed
pedigree and Kennel Club Registration form (or, if such registration form is not
available, shall forward to the client as soon as possible after receipt from the
Kennel Club) unless it is agreed mutually that such documents should be withheld.
Should the breeder wish to impose conditions or endorsements on official papers,
written notice of such should be given prior to the sale. A diet sheet shall be supplied
with each puppy sold, together with details of any medication and inoculations that
the animal may have received.
14. No member shall knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor
falsely advertise or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dog.
15. Good sportsmanship will always be observed by members and disparaging remarks
about fellow members or their stock should be strongly discouraged.
16. Where there is substantive evidence of malpractice or mistreatment of the Bullmastiff,
it is the duty of every member to report such to the Hon. Secretary of the Society
for the consideration of the Committee. The Committee, after investigation of the
complaint, may consider such matters and act accordingly.
17. Future breeding from both dogs and bitches should not be conditions of sale.
Breeding terms should be strongly discouraged.
18. It is recommended no puppies shall leave the breeder before the age of 8 weeks.
Potential owners should buy from the home in which the puppy was born; they should
endeavour to see both parents, wherever possible, in order that the temperament maybe
19. Breeders shall give a comprehensive back-up service with every puppy they sell.
20. Dogs showing unprovoked aggression towards human beings must not be bred from
or shown under any circumstances.
21. It is advisable that all puppies should be micro-chipped tattooed or DNA profiled
prior to sale.